As Promised...

Here is a little "action shot" showing how well my new bathing suit (made with sewing pattern 2916) did in the fun Salvadorian waves and a closeup of the back, which is what makes it special.



Since there was no lining in the upper front (because the fabric did not have the best stretch, we did not line the entire front like the unitard pattern calls for), we decided to use a little trick we learned from a local skater mom. I picked and old (and ugly) beige bra that we sewed to the front (where the straps are) and at the back (where the first loop is). To know where to sew the bra, I simply wore it underneath the bathing suit, dear mom marked the front and back edges onto the bra, sewed the bra where it should be and I cut (it does feel weird to cut a bra, but it was for a good cause!) whatever exceeded the edges.

I was very pleased with the result. Even though the bra doesn't have much padding, its wire helps for shaping and it acts as a very good lining where it's needed. Thank you Francine for this clever advice!

One thing I forgot to mention: Since the unitard is design for dancing/skating where more length is needed, and because a wet bathing suit always feels longer, we shortened the pattern by 1/2'' in the front and back (since I was not planning on doing any somersaults, bridges or other crazy contortions) when we overlapped the panties and bodice pieces.

While I was there, I saw a girl wearing a faux-tankini (one-piece with panties and bodice of different colors). I could easily have achieved this look with the unitard pattern, keeping the seam at the waist.


I really enjoyed this little vacation and couldn't wait to see Henri when I got back!!! Now... Back in creative mode for the next collection. If you have any special request for the next collection, please post them in the comments or email us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If you could make a pattern for your the swimsuit in this blog post, that would be awesome! I know you told us how you did it with the other patterns, but I would seriously consider buying a pattern specifically designed as a swimsuit.

Also, maybe some dresses, simple ones that could function as work clothes? Just a thought. :)

-Joyce
judy said…
I second the request for the swimsuit pattern! I would love a stylish one piece or even a pattern for a tankini that could have optional skirted bottoms, and a looser fitting top once past the boobs that is long enough to come down to the bottoms. Another pattern I have been looking for lately is for a skirt that would be made from a knit with an elastic waist and lots of fullness (or pleats for swishing....). Something casual and comfy for summertime. Sorry, I am not great at describing what I am picturing!
Great action shot :) and beautiful bathing suit back.
sewingsue said…
So cute! would you be able to post a pic of the inside so us visual thinkers could see the construction? Thanks!
Kathi said…
Glad you had fun on your vacation - looks like a great suit!!
I would LOVE a really GOOD cowl neck shirt. I have been experimenting with cowl neck patterns, but I just keep thinking that I know I would like one made by Jalie!
Tara said…
I'd love to see a zip-up hoodie pattern for boys/men.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful swimsuit! I'd love to see more interesting knit tops -- you guys make beautiful top patterns. Maybe a different type of twist top?

Jodi
Anonymous said…
Your jeans pattern is so popular on pattern review. It would be great to have a jeans skirt pattern too.
Melanie
Marla said…
Looks likes you had an awesome vacation! I totally love the swimsuit back. I have been thinking bout making a swimsuit, but haven't seen any swimsuit fabric that inspires me. I've never tried a Jalie Pattern, but I have seen some nice tops on blogs. A tankini pattern with different types of pants would be nice. Something that offers a way to incorporate differnt colors of fabric.
Claudy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudy said…
How about women's board shorts Have you ever ventured into making a pair:)
claudyeckardt@gmail.com/www.eckardts.blogspot.com
cidell said…
I thought of you this weekend while shopping at Nordstrom's. There were these Wellington boot socks that reminded me of the thermal socks you guys make. I'd love to see a version for Wellingtons. They wanted $40 for this cute stripey pair. Craziness.

http://www.zappos.com/hunter-welly-sock-with-knitted-striped-cuff-multistripe-navy?zlfid=111&zfcTest=prodPage2a:0
cidell said…
Oh, and a more form fitting woman's bicycle shirt or a biking poncho :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vanessa Jogger Shorts // Pattern Hack (Jalie 3676)

New Collection - The Éléonore Pull-On Jeans